Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Piyestang Patay



Two days ago, I went to the cemetery to paint the grave of a relative of mine and clean the area of debris. I actually had to paint it three different times since the paint kept washing out due to the intermittent rain.

I can't remember what it was like on Piyestang Patay when I was a child, so I didn't know what to expect. I waited until evening to visit the grave site. I walked to the cemetery, and on the way there, I knew the place was going to be crowded as there was heavy traffic kilometers away. When I arrived at the cemetery, I had to find an alternate route to get to my relative's grave due to the swarm of people. On any other day, the cemetery would be an eerie place to visit at night. However, on the day of Piyestang Patay, the cemetery was set aglow with candles and visitors of all ages. The place that is full of the dead, was actually quite full of life. People did not appear sad, but were enjoying the night they were sharing with their loved ones.

The grave of my relative was a dull gray upon arriving that evening, but once I lit the pair of candles and the flowers that I brought, his little corner became filled with a bright and warm aura. My relative is my uncle who died upon birth. He is the panganay or first born child of my lola. I asked my relatives here what his name is, and no one seems to know for sure. This is why there is no name on the grave. But regardless if a name does not exist on his grave, he is remembered.






















12 comments:

kiPaY(^_^) said...

happy haLLowEEn!!

dami mu anng admirer ahh..sana may tag board ka..

bonggit!!! said...

Who would not admire this soul. So brave, so free spirited. I admire him! Keep it up pare! Hope one day I'llget this chance of adventure like yours!

rina said...

You've finally updated your blog! Now I know who you look like. You look like Luis Manzano. I hope you'll get more advertisers. Keep on blogging!

aswang_rxs said...

your cemetary looks like ours here in Capiz, hehehe. Next year try to attend our aswang festival

psychfriends@yahoo.com said...

you seem enjoying your stay in philippines.it was initially weird to know someone from state with excellent educational background and imppressive resume left all the convenience to suffer the poverty in our native land.you must have more than a reason of staying in rural area and taking all the risks, contrast to what most filipino wishes to. whatever your real purpose, hope you will succeed. i myself came from a poor family and grew up in the farm.all pictures you are posting is nothing new to me. i am now here in Uk for quite a while. i honestly miss the philippines despite of political burdens and poverty. i like the farm most,remembering the old days where we can play freely,ride on the back of our cow, swim in the river, catching fish, baiting frog in the rice field,etc etc.
i will be home early next year and like you, will travel and enjoy the nature and places in philippines.goodluck youngman.

Pinay New Yorker said...

You are truly an inspiration. I got two recommendations from people who read my blog to visit and I actually wrote a post here:

http://pinaynewyorker.blog.com/1215104/

If you are ever in New York, let me know.. I'd love to meet you and see the Nomad for real..

Anonymous said...

after super typhoon paeng's ravaging force, at last you've updated your blog.. lolz..

well, you definitely look like Luis Manzano, you could be an anchor man coz you hav a good diction or perhaps you could be a model or something..



also I recommend this blog, my friend's blog perhaps:


http://chocoholic-memories.blogspot.com

please visit his blog if you have time!


Happy halloween!


blUey_miLLE from New Manila.

batang musmus said...

bilib na talaga ko sa'yo pare, super coconuter! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

hey david, nice pics ha, as i saw your blog there were some changes nice! do you enjoy your piyestang patay here in the phil. ngayong pasko cguro at new year you would have another experience. ill watch for that

Anonymous said...

happy haaaoooooohalloween.....

nice photos.....

jean karen said...

hi david my idol!!!bilib talaga ako sayo,pinapahanga mo ako lalo,youre my inspiration.ingatz ka palagi jan and may the blessings of god be with you always

`dAuNdEeN` said...

hye david,, i admire ur braveness.. kip it up.. coz we our family admired u..

Post a Comment