Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hanging Coffins of Echo Valley



Come join Simon as he treads through the eerie hanging coffins, yet sacred burial grounds of the Igorots in Echo Valley.

--------------------------------------------------
The fifteen-minutes walk led us to the Echo Valley. The trek to the Echo Valley was easier and clearer even despite the fact that we didn't get a tourist guide to tour us around the countryside. The Echo Valley hanging coffins took a little bit of adventurous spirit to be able to reach it. As we moved on to the Echo Valley we saw the town cemetery where World War veterans' graves were located; we passed by them going to the site.

We saw more limestone cliffs, other burial grounds, and more hanging coffins as we trekked through the valley. As the name implies, shouting in Echo Valley will give a ricochet of your voice. When you shout out your name, you will hear the mountains call back your name three times. Those coffins have been there for ages and it is quite a wonder how the Igorots got the coffins there. These coffins are usually in groups that are neatly piled. They are a century old and it is only Mother Nature that can crumble their greatness.

I asked an old man how these coffins got onto the top of the cliff. And from him, I got this information that these Igorots stay at every layer of the mountains. They pass the coffin until it reaches the tomb. Next is the dead body wrapped with white clothes and they do some ritual in respect for their dead family. There are also coffins especially made for the women who lost their lives while giving birth.

There are also coffins that are inside the mountains and I wanted to get inside of it just to see what was inside but they covered it by stone and I not dared to open it for this is a sacred place. These places are important and meaningful to all Igorots so when you get there respect the sites because this valley is a sacred burial area for the Igorots and up to this moment, they still live with their traditional culture.

I hopped from one stone, hill to another just to see and capture pictures of these mountains made of limestone which have coffins inside them. And Jumong did not go with me as I move from one place to another for he is afraid; he waited me from the top. He admired my guts for going nearer the tomb and take pictures.

After adventuring I made up my mind and I still have high respect for these Igorots for they still value the culture they have gotten from their ancestors.
--------------------------------------------------











































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ngayon ko lang nalaman na neron po pala ganyan sa Pilipinas. Di kasi ako mahilig magbasa kaya siguro di ko alam ang kultura ng Igorot. Basta alam ko Igorot sila, yon lang.

Engr. Simon said...

Please vote for Tubbataha Reef of Palawan, Philippines as being one of the new 7 wonders of nature.

Please follow the link below:
http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/vote_on_nominees
or http://www.new7wonders.com/classic/en/index/

ac_8987 said...

Vote not only Tubbataha Reefs but also Chocolate Hills of Bohol and Puerto Princesa's Subterranean River National Park.

I cast my votes this morning and we have a good chance of winning. I even asked my friends to vote...

Please do the same...

For Simon:
You're really into adventure, aren't you? I got goosebumps as I read your entry especially the part when you courageously shot photos of the cemetery. I really don't have guts to go to this kind of places.

Do you know other good places where I can visit coz. I'm planning to go home to the phils. next year. Please e-mail at ac_8987@yahoo.com.ph

Please and thank you...

Liberty Leasing Services said...

Its wonderful photo of echo valley... I did nt get much on hanging coffins but I agree with respecting Igorots culture...

thanks for photos and information

Post a Comment