Sunday, February 14, 2010

Off to Cagayan de Oro



cagayan de oroAfter about a week at Samal, I was starting to feel a bit restless, plus I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable staying long term if it is not my own home/place. Thus, I decided to head out and explore other parts of Mindanao.

A lot of DavaoeƱos recommended Camiguin, so I decided to go there. In hindsight, it was a mistake, since I would later find out that Camiguin is a major tourist site. Yet, it was too late by the time I had realized this.

Getting to Camiguin is a long trip via bus from Davao. In order to get there, one must head to Cagayan de Oro, and there are two usual routes: via Bukidnon or via Butuan. Via Bukidnon is quicker.

The bus route takes one straight through the heart of Mindanao. One will pass through such cities as Valencia and Malaybalay. It is approximately an 8 to 9 hour bus ride before one arrives at Cagayan de Oro in the province of Misamis Oriental.

As far as the atmosphere in Cagayan de Oro, it is like most urban locations in the Philippines--polluted and crammed. However, Cagayan de Oro differed in the aspect that it had noticeably more squatter areas. Also, as I have mentioned before, people in Mindanao do not speak Tagalog outright. So when I spoke to the clerk at the motel, taxi drivers, or anyone on the street, they would always speak to me in Bisaya unless I specifically asked them to speak in Tagalog. And even then, some would still inadvertently mix in Bisaya because of their difficulty in speaking fluent Tagalog.

<< READ THE REST OF THIS POST AND VIEW THE PICTURES >>

No comments:

Post a Comment