Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Patar Beach



patar beachI am quite fortunate that there exists several natural wonders in close proximity to my current residence near the Zambales-Pangasinan border. But then again, the Philippines is such a vibrant and rich country that no matter what part you live in, you are bound to be surrounded, or at least just a short ride away, from some beautiful site---which hopefully has not yet been exploited and commercialized, or at least has been well-maintained. Patar beach, which is sometimes compared to famous Boracay, probably falls more into the latter category.


Patar is located in Bolinao, Pangasinan. As I mentioned, some compare it to Boracay. I've never been to Boracay so I can't really make an accurate comparison, but the sand at Patar is more of a yellow or golden hue with shells and coral bits in the mix---quite similar to the sand found on Capones Island in Zambales.

From Bolinao's town center, one can take a tricycle to Patar, which will cost around 500 PHP if you head out to the most distant parts or around 350 PHP if you are closer to the 'Welcome to Barangay Patar' sign. Before you head off to Patar though, you might want to check out the old Church of St. James Fortress while you are at the center of town; I hear it's old---built by the Augustinians in 1609.

For a relatively isolated town like Bolinao, which is out of the way from the main road that runs from city of Alaminos to Zambales, you'd be surprised to note that a lot of the people are in good financial shape. At least that's what it seemed like, especially for the folks who live in Barangay Patar. When our tricycle driver took a pit stop at his home in Barangay Patar to get a drink of water, we were quite surprised to see how beautiful and developed his house was---large, two-story, semi-tiled & decorated exterior, car under the port, Bermuda grass, etc.

It was quite ironic considering we were the tourists and he was the tricycle driver (unfortunately, there is always that expectation that tourists are relatively well-off, financially). People look at me and expect me to not hesitate in buying their merchandise, hiring them for their service, and leaving generous tips. They don't know I live in a simple abode and under relatively crude conditions that may actually be similar to or even more primitive compared to theirs.

My financial constraints should exhibit themselves in my need to commute or even walk where I need to go. But that doesn't seem to be the case. People still get befuddled whenever I try to bargain for the lowest prices I can get. It just doesn't fit right with them, and more complex situations sometimes lead to altercations or me just walking away in order to avoid one.

patar little boracayThey get even more perplexed when they see me taking photographs and hear about my doings on the internet, which they just cannot quite understand. Back to the tricycle driver in Patar---he, too, was confused that I had bargained for the lowest fare just so that I could spend a few minutes at an empty beach, which I specifically requested had to be undeveloped and bare of tourists.

I am sure at first he thoroughly expected that I would want to visit one of their expensive resorts and spend a night or two checking out their tourist-laden sites and eating at their restaurants. ...No. I ended up going to the barren beach, just as I had specified, and maybe spent 10 minutes snapping pictures.  I didn't even take the time to go swimming because he would have bumped the fare up if I had left him idle for too long.

I seemed to drive the point home when he brought me to Enchanted Cave, which had an underground swimming pool bustling with tourists, and conveyed my displeasure with the commercialization. I spent maybe half a minute in the cave just to snap some pictures and then got out. In my opinion, the allure was ruined. But to their credit, they kept the place clean and well-maintained. Their livelihood depends on it, so I guess they must. And based on the photos on their bulletin board, it seems like they've been getting high-profile visitors as well, including the likes of actors Piolo Pascual, Dingdong Dantes, and Marian Rivera.

16 comments:

Don said...

David, why won't you do blogger events here in the metro? ako sumasama ako sa mga co bloggers na kilala ko to cover some events. Kaso minsan di ako na kaka attend kasi may office work din ako..sometimes tuwing weekend lang..I usually get blogger invites from Azrael Colladilla of azraelmerryland.blogspot.com :)

Coconuter said...

Hindi na kasi ako nakatira sa Manila eh. Dito na ako near sa Zambales-Pangasinan border. Medyo expensive na to commute to Manila.

Anonymous said...

another great set of posts! its about time man! been waiting for these... pero pwede ba, post ka more often?? please...!!!

Coconuter said...

Haha, I try my best to post when I can. The blog doesn't earn very much kasi and so far walang sponsors, kaya sometimes I have to focus on other things that can earn more. But you know, I enjoy this, so I try to keep it up.

philipjohn-from-gigaquit said...

Hi Mr. Poarch, I completely agree with you. I really really really hate it when a beautiful natural site gets commercialized. Like you said, it loses the place's appeal and soul, I believe, because commercialization for me is 100% trash. Here in Cebu, there's this Kawasan falls which no longer feels naturally fresh; so many concrete here and there and it terribly annoys me. I wish some people would stop "nature-traveling" esp. f they don't love and respect nature.

Pinoy Boy Journals said...

yes, continue inspiring people to go against the norm and live the life they've always dreamed of.

Jepoi said...

The Philippines has no backpacking culture... so I also often experience similar situation, when drivers expect to bring me to expensive places when i am actually hunting for bargain accommodation. It's not like Thailand...

Man! I hope you won't get tired of doing what you're doing now. Let's do some real backpacking in the future... lol

mark said...

Philippine beaches are exceptional to beauty and charisma. Its entice me when see beaches like this.

Thanks for sharing!

positive affirmations said...

Ang ganda ng logar dude., hindi pa ako naka ponta jan., sana maka ponta ako..,
As I forgive myself. I leave behind all feelings of not being good enough, and I am free to love myself.

Anonymous said...

nice pic...

Davaodelights said...

Awesome photos. The place would be perfect for summer escapade.

Anonymous said...

Hi David got this article from the Entertainment section of Philstar written by Veronica Samio dated Dec. 18, 2010. Just for your info becuase I believe you've already mentioned this from one of your articles.

May isang bagong produkto na naman ang lumabas sa mercado na magbibigay ng malaking pag-asa sa mga taong may karamdaman. Hindi ito isang uri ng gamot kundi isang Quantum pendant na may kakayahang magpagaling ng kahit anong uri ng sakit sa magsususot nito.

Sa kabuuan, ang pendant na ito (pansabit sa kuwintas) produces overall health.

Medyo may kamahalan ang halaga ng Quantum pendant pero kung iisipin naman ang maraming kabutihan na maibibigay nito sa magsusuot nito, hindi na ito mahal.

At kung gusto n’yong magbakasakali at makakuha nito ng libre, ang Beau Visage Modeling Agency katulong ang Fusion Excel International ay magdaraos ng isang maituturing na pinaka-malaking fashion show na mapapanood sa December 21, 7:00 ng gabi sa PICC.

Pinamagatang Fashion and Fusion 2010, lala­hukan ang malaking event na ito ng mga local, inter­ational class A Europeans, Latinas and Asian models at mga kilalang personalidad ng bansa tulad nina Love Thadani, Andrew Wolfe, Will Devoughn, Daniel Matsunaga, KC Thadani, Danielle Castano, Guji Lorenzana, at mga kilalang ar­tis­ta sa telebisyon at pelikula. Layunin ng event na makalikom ng pondo para sa The Heart Founda­tion, OFW Family Club at Hope For Children Foundation.

Para sa karagdagang detalye maaring tunawag sa 569-73-61, 846-87-78, 0915-615-22-96 o kaya mag-e-mail sa beauvisage@email.com.

Anonymous said...

continue inspire people....i love ur work....how talented you are....

Anonymous said...

david! I want to invite you in our place here in bolinao,you might be interested to visit the Silaki Island and Dewey and other beautiful places.The church here ST. James the Great Parish is our home.I want the young people to meet you because you are such an inspiration.I hope this wish I've been praying for a long time will be granted before I get married.Thank you.

Coconuter said...

@Anonymous:

Thank you for the invitation =) Yes, my wife and I would enjoy visiting Bolinao again. It is a unique place with plenty of alluring sites. We can try to schedule it, but I can't make any promises as we are quite low on budget. Please e-mail me, and I will see what we can do.

coconuter@gmail.com

Thanks,
David

Jovench said...

I also have my getaway with my friends last September 2011. Read my blog at http://jovenchescapes.blogspot.com, I have posted my experience in Manaoag, Hundred Islands and Bolinao.

Post a Comment