Monday, February 14, 2011

Arusip (or Green Grape Algae, Caulerpa Uva)



arusip green grape algae caulerpa uvaFrom a few years of living by the sea, I am quite familiar with seeing and eating the seaweed known in the Philippines as arusip. The first time I tasted this was in 2006, and I found it to be a bit too overwhelming to eat on its own due to the strong mineral taste. However, it makes for a nice side-dish or salad and goes great with rice and any dry meal or ulam, like fried fish.


I am not so sure about the nutrient content of arusip in particular, but ocean vegetables in general tend to be high in minerals and some vitamins. So, I wouldn't be surprised if arusip is high in iodine and the macro minerals.

If you live by the sea where the soil isn't always conducive to the growth of most crops, seaweeds make a cheap nutritious addition to daily meals. They usually sell for around 20 PHP per takal or bunch at the wet market, which is enough to share between a small family.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

msarap yn kpg my ksmang kmatis....
mrmi nyn s bolinao...

Bella Donna said...

oh,i don't think i can eat that seaweed. :)

ZELMARQ said...

wow, sounds an adventure for my palate...

Gab said...

thanks to the info dude. i'm about to put the dish in my blog

inggo21 said...

favorite ko to! ^_^

Danmark said...

Wow my favorite seafood in the philippines that i used to eat.

Christian | Lakad Pilipinas said...

Mukhang masarap to sa tinapa =]

ghdsfdy said...

yan ba talaga ang arusip

Sofia Grado Dote said...

it this is a plant?

Post a Comment