Friday, May 13, 2011

Masaprola (Passion Fruit or Granadilla)



masaprolaAt first, I did not know the name of this fruit, which is rare in the Philippines. I had come across it when the deep mountain dwellers came down to town to sell their exotic fruits, like the giant Saba bananas that I mentioned in a previous post. This new fruit, however, was very unfamiliar, and they referred to it as the Masaprola. After browsing around online, I determined that it is also known internationally by the names of passion fruit, sweet granadilla, guavadilla, or grenadia (all in the Passiflora genus).


It has a wonderful citrus-like aroma, sweet-sour taste, and fairly high water content, which now makes it one of my favorite Summer-time fruits. After a long trek, I used to love arriving back at the house and just guzzle down several rounds of these yellow elixirs. Soon the effects of dehydration and aches of muscles would dissipate. Apparently, the fruit is high in vitamins A, C, and K, phosphorus, iron, and calcium.

I use a spoon to eat it in order to avoid making a mess, but one could just slice it open and just slurp up the insides. I've read that the pulp is the edible portion as the seeds "are hard and black...surrounded by a gelatinous sphere of transparent pulp." However, I slurp up the entire mass and just consume it whole, with apparently no ill effects. After a long hike under the hot sun, gulping these down pronto seems only natural to me, as I yearn for a thirst quencher =)

11 comments:

Stephaine said...

in my place we have a lot of fruit like this "though thanks for the information i did not know that it is called passion fruit hehe". there is also one kind where in it turn violet when ripe, but that kind of masaprolla is sour, that is why when i was young we use to put salt in it before eating.

nice post as always :)

hzl's thoughts said...

i miss eating passion fruits with pinch of salt . sigh!... it's getting rare these days

Don Garcia said...

isa sa mga paborito ko! woohoo! sarap nyan lagyan ng asin..:D

Anonymous said...

late 80s nagtanim nyan dito sa amin..balak pa ngang patayin puno ng kape at ipalit yan..buti na lang hindi nangyari kasi sa una lang parang naging asak dito(do you understand "asak"?..ako parang hindi rin..hahaha)...pero later on nawala na rin...what we did with that fruit is parang juice..squeezed it in water...then parang juice na rin...di ko lang masyadong gusto yan noon..

Anonymous said...

masaprola pala yan...passion fruit nga tawag dyan dito sa mendez...ayaw ko lang talaga ng lasa nyan...monch

Anonymous said...

masarap yan gawing juice

phingtravels said...

I haven't tried it even if I live in Phils my wholelife. Will look for it. :-)

John said...

tried this in New Zealand...it's okay to slurp everything including the seeds. I did! :-) I didn't know we had passion fruit here in Pinas. Cool!

Ruth Flor de Lis said...

Where can I find sweet granadilla in the Philippines?

Fred B Block said...

It is "Passiflora ligularis" that is so deliciously sweet, not the common variety I grow at the beach in Dauin,Negros Oriental. The sweet variety loves higher altitudes so perhaps the mountain folks have them growing and keep their secrets to themselves(he,he). I am in Costa Ric now enjoying them....no end in sight!

orvs said...

There are lots of these in Mt. Province, but have seen some in Philex in Benguet. But haven't seen one yet in Baguio. Yes there are two kinds I've seen so far. The bigger one, which is yellow and sweet when ripe, and the smaller one, which is violet and sour when ripe. I like the sweet one when I was younger, but preferred the sour one when I grew up. Sadly I haven't seen one here in the metro manila.

Post a Comment