Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bamban, Infanta and Baboy Damo (Wild Pig)



bamban infantaIt seems that I am inherently drawn to rice fields. Yet, upon further inspection, it is actually the color that seems to attract me. The deep green color from the chlorophyll of the grass appears to positively affect my mood -- giving me a clean, invigorating feeling of sorts. And no, not just grass and greenery I would say, but all deep, vibrant pigmentation that nature can conjure.


gumamela hibiscus bushWhy? I am sure that it likely has something to do with ideal environments -- providing drive towards those environments, that is. Colorful flora could convey the richness of the soil, the availability of water, the regular sunshine, etc. And the sight of this healthy vegetation translates to a place with food and wildlife -- in other words, the place is alive. The colors probably strike visual receptors in animals, making all this biologically and chemically feel "good" -- perhaps a product of evolution where organisms who had this faculty were naturally some of the ones who survived.

rice fieldsThese thoughts came to mind, as I walked and roamed the countryside of Barangay Bamban in Infanta, Pangasinan, a place seemingly known for its vast rice fields and hence the grain that it produces. Yes, that as well as Pangasinan State University, which I found to be peculiarly located several kilometers deep in this rural barangay -- something I'm sure tricycle drivers are thankful for and perhaps students not so much.

baboy damoBut that's not all that is unique to Bamban. The place also has a small population of wild boar, or baboy damo, which is rare to come by these days. You can usually tell them apart from regular domestic pigs, as baboy damo typically have more fur, a darker color, a straight tail, and the males develop tusks. I was able to speak to the owner of this herd of Philippine wild pigs, and he said he purchased them from an Igorot tribe in the distant mountains.

palayanI would have visited that tribe myself, as I've always wanted to have a farm with various free ranging animals. But, I do not yet have my own parcel of land. A few months ago, however, it seemed that this might actually come into fruition, because an OFW who owns several hectares (approx. 30 hectares) of land in Bolinao, Pangasinan promised to give me a few square meters (500 sqm). In fact, he even had me travel all the way to his Bolinao property to photograph his land and livestock as he had not seen it in a few years. Of course, thinking his offer was genuine and his sentiments sincere, I obliged and traveled all the way there from Sampaloc, Manila (where I was living at the time) to visit his relatives and take pictures of his property and livestock. Unfortunately, he never kept his promise -- soon cutting off communication after receiving the photographs.

11 comments:

elmerlovesoreo said...

I love your pictures! I'm just wondering what brand and model are you using. I'm hoping to buy a DSLR soon.

Coconuter said...

Thanks. I don't have a DSLR. What I use is just a compact digicam -- which might be better in my case with all the rugged traveling and such. Plus, the smaller camera probably doesn't attract as much unwanted attention.

Don Garcia said...

David, if you are still interested about slr cams...I'm selling mine...Nikon D3000...

Anonymous said...

@Don! magkano benta mo sa nikon d3000 mo? maganda nikon ah bat mo binebenta?

Don Garcia said...

email mo ako i'll tell you the details or add me up on facebook..garciadon@ymail.com

Marion Jeffrey said...

Huwaw! Am impressed with your writings. When I saw you personally, hindi halata :) Yun lang masasabi ko, HAHA!

Coconuter said...

@Marion: Just curious, when and where did you see me personally?

AbieS said...

HI COCONUTER YOU ARE JUST AN INSPIRATION, I JUST STUMBLED TO YOUR SITE AND GONE TRU SOME OF YOUR BLOG POST, THOUGH I ONLY RED COUPLE OF YOUR POST YOU REMIND ME OF "Chris McCandless" FROM THE TRUE STORY MOVIE "INTO THE WILD" NOT THE SAME BUT COMPARABLE TO YOUR ADVENTURE IN LIFE, THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIE. I HAVE THE SAME POINT OF VIEW AS YOURS SOMETIMES BUT CAN'T ABLE DARE DOING WHAT YOU DID COZ I HAVE A FAMILY NOW. I STILL HOPE THE ONE DAY I COULD TRAVEL BY GROUND FROM BATANES TO JOLO WITH ONLY MY BACKPACK AND MY CAMERA PLUS TSINELAS.
GOODLUCK AND HOPE YOU'LL FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IN LIFE.......

Ciara Abella said...

i supah like this post..when i saw the pics parang gusto ko tuloy ng tahimik at simpleng buhay..

Gerald said...

Godbless!!! Coconuter Get Well SOon!!

Paolomer said...

Coconut, I never thought that I would find a blog like mine. I wanted to highlight our province as well, the green leafy farmland and its rich plantation. Now, I know that I am not alone on my chosen love of writing and blogging. Hope to read more of your blogs. I added you to my blogroll and started following you. Could you care visit my blog and leave a reply. Thanks!

Post a Comment