Saturday, June 23, 2012

Momentum



coconuter fenceSometimes we find ourselves at a standstill, thinking about our next move or dreaming about an ideal one, but really not knowing where life will lead us next. And then we are set in motion once again, towards a direction that may or may not have been part of the plan. With some retrospection, you realize the person you are with now could have been anybody given the number of random and volatile circumstances that could have fluctuated and influenced how the tide would turn. Or you may see that the career you have now was not really formed from intricate design, as a slight breeze towards a different direction or a number of nudges here and there along the way could have resulted in a drastic difference of becoming either an artist, doctor, engineer, or some other profession, if any.


I am at one of the points in my life where I am set in motion, running swiftly and surely in a certain direction. The winds have taken me up and are blowing me where only fate knows. All I know is, I am being carried by momentum, with compounding mass and velocity that the groove of my track is becoming more defined, and slipping out to blaze another path could only be initiated by a storm strong enough to give impetus towards a new destination.

Graduation from my undergraduate studies, attainment of a new job, and possibly pursuing graduate studies soon; this is where the wind and tide has taken me. Do I know for sure how long I will maintain this or where I will be led to next? No, I do not. Like a soldier, I typically do as I am directed and as I am expected. And like an ambitious and competitive soldier, I have a compulsion to amass ribbons, medals, and any achievement that may be attainable. But like a radical soldier, I think and dream.  And like any other mortal soldier, I tire.

Like a snowball, I start out small, white, and pure -- my mind clean, focused, and tamed. But as I keep rolling on the same groove, I am impelled to take on everything -- to the point that I take on more than I can handle -- picking up not only snow but dirt and grime as well. It is only my nature, as I have a tendency to ride the wave of momentum to the point of a total wipeout. In this extremity of action, I begin to lose myself as my integrity weakens and the snowball falls apart in a dramatic collapse. But like a legendary boxer who keeps fighting longer than his body allows, only to fade in the end -- in the wake of the cataclysm, it can be said that in his peak he reached a point of epic magnitude.

12 comments:

reynaldo said...

i agree with you...but life sometimes is unfair for those who are underprivelege to do what they wanted in life because of limitations in resources,physicality and the ability to believe in oneself because of past failures...

Phres said...

I was also driven by the momentum of being successful. I indulge myself in chasing it but at one point I got tired. I went into contemplating if what I did was right. I have realized though that in whatever we do we always thought that we are doing right. So I started doing something different again and I must say that I am really enjoying it. I am not certain though if I will come to the point where I will get tired again. Life must be like that.

Chelz said...

Thank you for writing this one, This is article somehow expressed where exactly I am right now. I am in the waiting process, a very long line , and somehow I don't know why I'm falling in this line. Currently I am pursuing my Graduate studies in History and moonlighting as an on-line article writer. These are things I'm busying at the moment while waiting for a blast. Keeping writing...God Bless!

elmo said...

i just go with the flow....

Simon Almazan said...

David should be graduating as summa cum laude but the problem is he is a transferee and just took 36 units from his recent school. But he is more than a summa cum laude to me, the way he thinks and his awesome heart. By the way, he has a GPA of higher than 3.90. When you are with him, you will not have the impressions that he is intelligent because he uses his heart to communicate and interact with other. He is a real intelligent and a wonderful heart. Never get tired of doing things for your dreams. Keep up!

el toro bumingo said...

Nakaka-depress nga minsan na hindi mo talaga ma-control kung ano ang mangyayari sa buhay mo. You just have to adjust to the situation. Truly, there is a higher power that governs us all.

Rain said...

Quarterlife crisis?

VM said...

Dave,
Have you ever read Gladwell's "Outliers?" It makes you wonder about how much individual potential is ignored by society.

Nonette said...

You're such a good writer. Why don't you gather all your articles and make it into a book. Just a suggestion. Have you read Viktor Frankl's Logotheraphy, the Psycholoy of Meaning? or tried digging into Zen Buddhism?

MARKEE said...

That should be proud of David. CONGRATULATIONS!

amy said...

Nice blogging. I am at one of the points in my life where I am set in motion, running swiftly and surely in a certain direction. Thanks
puhkemaja

Monto Gawe said...

Too much analysis leads, sometimes, to inertia and paralysis...

Post a Comment