Odyssey | noun | od•ys•sey | \ ˈä-də-sē \
1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune
2 : an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest
facebook instagram twitter feed



Sunday, June 06, 2021

Love and Spirit

Sunday, June 6, 2021

I sometimes lie awake in bed, having a hard time sleeping.  Eyes closed, but thoughts run through my mind, segments of my life flashing before my eyes.  From various periods and places, even memories from long ago, as early as I can remember during childhood and growing up.  Some are from events of the present.  And some are fears of the future, because even as much as we may try, it inevitably leads to bleeding, metaphorically speaking.  And because it can't be predicted, that uncertainty of not knowing when or what things will happen can be heavy to bear.

All the thoughts and fragments that rain on me mostly share a common trait, they are out of my control.  Time is something everyone and almost everything is powerless against and succumbs to, and so I struggle with that reality.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed because I know time is ticking and I want to reach certain goals or do certain things before it's too late and time runs out.  And sometimes I feel regret over time that was lost or how I spent that time.  Indeed it feels like you are bleeding out, and you are fighting so hard against it.

As I think to myself, I realize there is not much that can stand the test of time.  Artificial and material things can give fleeting joy, but it is not something that is deep or lasting, as it all becomes meaningless in the long-term.  But I kept on thinking, and I realized that there is something very powerful that surpasses and survives against Time...  And that is Love.  It is what binds us to others, no matter what.  Conditions, boundaries...it knows none.  No matter what distance or where in the universe, and no matter what weather or changes time may bring...it withstands.

But what if we're gone?  How can love transcend?  There is no evidence for or against it.  Yes, I have a scientific mind, but I get some comfort believing that we do have a spirit.  And that brings me to something else that defies time.  As you learned in school, there is the law of conservation of energy, and that is a universal truth and is never defied.

Energy is always there.  It may change form, but it cannot be destroyed.  Never.  You may not see it sometimes, but it does not mean it is not there.  Our flesh may dissipate, but our energy never does.  No matter what, it lives on and disseminates into our surroundings.  That is a scientific fact.  Perhaps it is that energy that I refer to as our spirit, or perhaps the Spirit is part of that energy.

So wherever our spirit may be, in this form now within our body, or flying in another form in the universe after this, there is no end...as it transcends time.  Then so too is love everlasting, as our spirit holds on to it and our loved ones forever.

 

 






























































 


6 comments:

Ling said...

Hi! I've kept a magazine cutout featuring you. As I was going through my files, I saw it again so I tried to search the net. I hope all is well with you and your fam.

joelmag said...

Thanks for sharing this meaningful realization, David. Let us just keep on going.

Coconuter said...

@Ling please send me a message on the Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/davidthecoconuter
I'd love to see that magazine cutout!

@joelmag yes, keep going! Thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

Life is useless if you don't know it's purpose and we cannot know our purpose without knowing the One who gives us life. He created us to love Him first of all so we could learn to love others. The real definition of life is knowing God and loving Him. The chief of men is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

Anonymous said...

Hi Handsome 💖

Eric said...

Dear David, been a follower of yours ever since you first appeared on television and in the newspaper. Due to my busy schedule with teaching and other obligations, it sometimes took me a while to return and read your blog.
I could relate to your feelings because I once experienced nostalgia for earlier times, fear for the future, and other similar emotions. And I still occasionally feel that way, but when you put your faith in God, you won't take those things too seriously. Just my opinion.

Post a Comment