Odyssey | noun | od•ys•sey | \ ˈä-də-sē \
1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune
2 : an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest
facebook instagram twitter feed



Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Islands

I am having a bit of withdrawal symptoms from my recent escapade.  It seems my mind and body is still hanging onto that carefree feeling of not being tied down to work (which I have been doing for many years) and just enjoying the sun, the water, the nature all around, and the nature within myself.

For those who do not know much about me, I am actually one of the first if not the very first travel blogger of the Philippines.  It's true that this is one of the few things I enjoy in life, one of my dreams, but unless you're very lucky, dreams typically can't sustain needs in reality, so this has turned into more of a once-in-a-blue-moon pastime, and somewhat of an occasional outlet or diary filled with metaphors.

So yes, I do know how to travel, as it's one of my fortes.  Countryside, seaside, slums, cities, waterfalls, mountains, the list goes on.  Bus, tricycle, bike, by foot, you name it.  Climb it, hike it, swim it... I did, and can still do it.  In fact, if you'd like me to retire early from work, in order to travel more, then I'd be happy to.  But until you are ready or until that's possible, we may have to settle for occasional weekend trips.

I again did not a bring a friend on this trip, since as I mentioned on a previous post, it always seems to be about the money.  Such people only seem to be nice if I have something to offer, or would only accompany me for payment, rather than to accompany for purely sharing an experience with.  This would only lead to a type of loneliness where there can be people around, yet you somehow still feel alone.  It is strange, because they will call themselves your "friend," yet they actually view you as an income opportunity or expect you as more of a business arrangement.  And most likely, if they no longer need you or if you have nothing more to give that they still value, or if they have found something else where they benefit more, then sadly they will probably throw you away.

As the saying goes -- love me for a reason, and let the reason be love.  Interestingly, even though they are not a fellow human, there are some pets/dogs that are the opposite of that -- they will stay by your side no matter what, and to the very end.  Some will miss you, will wait for you, and will remember you fondly even if you've been gone for a very long time.  And some will even weep when you're no longer there.

In any case, sometimes you have better luck with strangers/locals, though I am still careful since I am often a target of "mga manloloko" (i.e., those who will fool or deceive you, again usually for money).  But in this case, I was lucky with the area I visited (Dingalan, Aurora), as it seems there are very few there.  Almost everyone seemed good-natured.  One in particular was an old tricycle driver I met.  He told me that he has lived in the area for 40 years, but had never gone to the places I requested, so he said it was his lucky day, since it would also be an adventure for him.

Another thing that struck me about the area is that there is not much litter.  Plus, there is a simplicity and innocence that makes the place very alluring.  It's this charm that captured me, and I hope it will be a long time (if not never) before people and corruption poison this paradise.

--------------------------------------------

If you have been a reader/follower of "The Coconuter" for a while, then you may enjoy this slideshow.  Well, enjoy it while it lasts, because I am not getting any younger, guys.  Wishful thinking -- I hope I still have a few years of golden posts left in me, but sometimes I am not so sure how much longer is left.  Maybe I am just weary from it all and need to find my strength again.  Even eagles will grow tired without some wind to uplift them from time to time.

One thing that bothers me is that time is passing by, and it's difficult for me to see these golden years go to waste.

I sometimes revisit past photos and relive past memories.  And I find myself realizing that some memories that seemed like they were from a few weeks ago were actually from a handful of years ago.  And then I think, how many of these "handful of years" do we have in a lifetime?  And how many could be left?  It's sad to think about.  And even sadder to think that time is being wasted now.

Disputes and quarreling are part of life, but to let them consume you for several months every year (or even to the point of almost wasting the entire year) is just not sensible.  If you all have any grudges against loved ones, please do not let those grudges last long.  It can be hard to make up for lost time, but it's never too late.

And for my particular situation, there are external characters (so-called "friends") that like to meddle and play mind games, and enjoy torturing me.  But, like I've said many times, in many writings, I don't play the games.  So to these so-called friends, please show that you really are true friends.  Or, if you don't want to help, then at least don't be a hindrance.  I am walking the 99 miles, so please don't suppress her from walking the 1 mile.  Try something new guys and be nice for a change.  And no need to fight me guys, since I won't retaliate.  Why?  Because I love the person you all are with.

I like a lot of old songs, but "Islands in the Stream" is one of my favorites.  There are plenty of meaningful words -- about a couple being akin to islands in the stream.   It tells of relying on each other, living in a world together, without others being in between meddling and making us lose sight of what's truly important in life.




















































































































0 comments:

Post a Comment