Odyssey | noun | od•ys•sey | \ ˈä-də-sē \
1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune
2 : an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest
facebook instagram twitter feed



Sunday, January 28, 2018

Island of Dreams

Sunday, January 28, 2018

I'm not exactly sure why I am reviving this blog.  I abandoned it a few years ago, since I was physically eroding.  Moreover, it never earned me much money anyways (hardly any at all, actually).  My life was also consuming me at the time, but somehow, I have since then managed my way through it, adapting and surviving.


But, during a rare pause, old photos and writings I stumbled upon brought back some lost inspiration.  Like a dormant volcano, the landscape above and around may change, but the soul inside can only sleep for so long.  You can bury it for a while--with the need to work, responsibilities, commitments, and other preoccupations and artificialities--but the spirit's energy will eventually seep out, if not explode violently.

Except for my high school days, where I did have some friends (who I have since lost touch with), I have always lived a very isolated life.  This is not really by choice, as if I could turn back time, I would have liked to socialize more and make more friends.  Today, I am more or less an island, because to be anything more is not currently manageable.  Come to think of it, it has indeed been that way since I graduated from high school.  And even high school is disputable, as I had a fairly sheltered life and was often engulfed by my studies.

There were several opportunities and experiences I missed out on.  The yearn to explore and grow is a natural one, I feel.  And to suppress that, can make a man hollow.  In a way, the horse spurs, reins, and blinders did some good, I have to admit.  I was able to create a stable foundation built out of stress, which I don't think I would have been able to achieve without the chains and hardships hounding me.  Like a horse who did not realize he could run so fast, had a pack of wolves not been on his tail.  Yes, it pushes you to achieve more than you could have without that motivation, but the chronic restrainment and mundane existence can get physically tiring, and also taxing on the mind and soul.

Deep down, one longs for some freedom.  I had, and still have, dreams.  Dreams that I would still like to fulfill.  To my regret, some I will no longer be able to, because some opportunities only knock once and some only have a certain window in time during our youth.  Sadly, time waits for no one.  But, not all of my dreams have completely died.  I cannot run away from my responsibilities, but I would still like to do something about those remaining dreams of mine.  Perhaps a little bit at a time, and maybe reviving this blog is one small step towards those endeavors.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice vidio

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you've revived this blog. Keep writing, David. Smile always. ��

Unknown said...

Let the fire burn!

Unknown said...

im so happy that ur back david, ive been following u since u started blogging..hows ur family now. i think ur kid is all grown up now..i still can remember your video dancing in a classroom years back in states. hope to hear more soon. God Bless :-)

Rian Castillo said...

Glad to see you back!

Jeff said...

Welcome back. ��

Unknown said...

Indeed ☺️

Unknown said...

Indeed ☺️

gino33 said...

Reignite the fire within, David.

Touristang Pobre said...

Follow that dream wherever it will lead you...for sure it will take you to "new places", challenges and true meaning of life... that you never thought possible

gino33 said...

A thought just occurred to me, David, on men who find themselves isolated or cut off from the pack either by choice or circumstances.

In ancient cultures and tribes, men bond together, hunt together, explore together, and fight together. There is this sense of community and brotherhood among men.

I hope we'll be able to find this band of brothers who looks after one another and support each other. Then, perhaps we won't feel as much isolated as we do. I also feel this struggle of being alone since I work at home all by myself and have only the weekends to go out in the world and explore and then it's the same cycle all over again day in and day out and being an introvert by nature doesn't help at all though I do have an adventurous side of me that not many people are aware of.


Unknown said...

Nice to see you back David

Elmer Loves Canon said...

I love your blog! I've been a follower since you were featured on Rated K in 2007(?) :)

Anonymous said...

Life is not a race. Yes, time waits for no one but as long as you're still living you can still have and achieve all dreams in the past and today. Be inspired and motivated always dude. Continue and reestablish your plans. Do it step by step and once you are discourage while you are on your of accomplishing things, take a pause and reflect and retrieve the positive ones. I know that you've already heard all these kind of advices and thoughts but if you ponder things sincerely you're already retrieving yourself up from discouragement. God Bless you David Poarch.

Unknown said...

Hey! I just made a quick Google search for your blog after feeling weirdly nostalgic reading your posts. Surprised to see that you've revived it! It's been a long time since 2006 when I first started reading your blog posts. Glad to see you back! I hope you are well.

Coconuter said...

Thank you all for the kind words!

@gino - I agree. It's this social aspect of life that I think I've been missing out on. I've been isolated for most of my life, due to various reasons, and I think that's something in my life that I would really like to (and have been trying to) remedy, though it's difficult given my personal circumstances.

@Paul - Wow, glad to hear that you still remember the blog after all those years!

setitgood said...

Glad to see fellow old blogger back.. started mine more than 10yrs ago and it did not earn any money too, for a couple of years I just stopped and went with the flow of life... but ive always known I had a calling and not sharing my gift is a misuse of my purpose.. I thought ive lost the passion for writing but I didnt. Hence I revamped my old blog and started afresh.. thats whats good thing with life, we can always start afresh - if we choose to.

Slr said...

Glad you're back.

Post a Comment