Odyssey | noun | od•ys•sey | \ ˈä-də-sē \
1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune
2 : an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest
facebook instagram twitter feed



Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January 29

Monday, January 29, 2018

My birthdays are usually quiet.  I typically don't do anything special, and I'm not really materialistic.  The same goes for other holidays. I treat them more or less like any other day.  It is my mother who is usually spirited and tended to such occasions.  So, it was out of the ordinary for me, when a few months back, I suddenly found myself at a birthday bash.

My parents, sister, and grandmother were visiting the Philippines at the time, and I had not seen them in about 4 years, so just being with them was very meaningful.  But they decided to surprise me with a birthday event.

It was totally unexpected, especially since this was in the Summer, when my actual birthday is in January.  At first, I was shocked and did not really know how to react, as I'm a fairly shy person.  I'm not used to social events or people putting up parties to celebrate me, and I don't think I've had a birthday party since I was probably six or seven years old in the Philippines.

But once it sunk in, I'm really glad we had that celebration.  To see all my Filipino relatives enjoying themselves and all together again in one place, to recall all the special family memories in the nostalgic picture/music slideshow presented, and to be with my parents and sister again after so long -- it's an overwhelming feeling, and one so pure and so powerful, that it withstands time.

On that day, my life flashed before me, moments lost in time came flying back after so long, to embrace me... a flood of emotions rushed into my soul... and suddenly tears filled my eyes, joy and love in my heart.  I was a child again -- happy, innocent, and carefree -- playing with my cousins, laughing with my sister, walking beside my grandmother, embracing my parents.

I was crying, and cannot really pinpoint why, because there are just so many reasons... a life full of reasons.  A blessed life, so many beautiful memories, and such a loving family.  That day -- one small moment in time, one mere drop in a life, but one that could paint a lifetime -- will live in my heart forever.











2 comments:

Touristang Pobre said...

Agree...one moment in time can paint a lifetime...cherished mem'ries.

Coconuter said...

Indeed

Post a Comment