Odyssey | noun | od•ys•sey | \ ˈä-də-sē \
1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune
2 : an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest
facebook instagram twitter feed



Saturday, February 24, 2018

Rushing

Saturday, February 24, 2018

I remember the simple meals, and I grew to become satisfied with them, and even finding them comforting as time went on, as I still do today.  I would even sometimes enjoy the feeling of being hungry, and sweating while walking long distances.

It gave me a feeling like I was detoxifying myself, and it gave me spurts of true drive.  Whenever hungry and having to roam and forage for food in the jungle or mountains, it took away all excess/unnecessary thoughts and gave you focus on one sole thing -- to find food so you could eat.  It's a primitive mechanism, but that's a prime form of true satisfaction that's very invigorating to the mind and body.  This of course gets corrupted if you no longer live for just yourself, because then you have more to think about than just meeting your own needs.

I see I posted about the cemetery.  I bet I would have never predicted back then that I would end up sleeping at cemeteries for a couple of instances in the years that followed.  And it was not because I wanted to, but because paradise was eroding (or was not attainable) and I began to suffer from mishaps, the harsh reality of life, and wrong turns.

Original post below:

Monday, March 13, 2006

I'm really rushing right now. I'm praying I have enough money to pay for this internet cafe bill, haha, really. Let's get right down to the pictures. I enjoyed a cheap meal of rice, raw dilis or anchovies, and arusep, which is a type of seaweed. The dilis tasted fine and the texture was ok, and I was able to stomach it despite having no flavor and it being raw. The arusep was also ok. It's very salty, and I probably would not have been able to eat it all without neutralizing the taste with rice. Overall, the meal was decent. This is not pictured, but I ate some fried talong or eggplant with dried fish or tuyo last night that someone offered me. I didn't like that meal as much.

The other night I found myself passing a town I was supposed to get off at, so I just stayed in the jeepney until I reached the jeepney's final destination, which is Olongapo. Fortunately, the jeepney driver did not notice, otherwise I would have had to figure something out because my budget that evening would not have been able to cover the fare. From Olongapo I trekked back to the barrio I was supposed to get off at. On the way, I noticed a cemetery. I decided to stop and take some shots and experiment with my camera's timer. The Olongapo City Cemetery is quite large, and it extends high up the mountainside that it resides on. Some of the tombs are stacked upon each other or patong patong. After getting sweaty and dirty, I had enough of that and headed out. Finally, I am flushing a toilet in the other two photos. What you do is use a tabo or pour a bucket of water to make the toilet flush and pray that it does.








11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have become a fan of your blog. I've also travelled the philippines but didnt rough it as much as you have. You must be having such an awsome adventure!!!

Anonymous said...

keep blogging..its very interesting for someone going back home instead leaving for green bucks.and it would be more interesting to learn u will be doing good in ur adventure. good luck.

Ernesto said...

Hi! I guess the comment I posted yesterday didnt work...anyway, you're a brave guy walking around the cemetery at night. I do remember that cemetery, sadly my mom is buried there. Last time I was able to visit her grave was about ten years ago. I remember that its on the side of the mountain with a great view of Subic Bay. Anyway, keep up the good work. Just curious, are you staying in Subic?

Anonymous said...

it is summer time in the philippines! try halo-halo. enjoy barangay fiestas. visit catholic churches on the holy week. feature traditional circumcision in your blog. enjoy the beaches!

how can we help you continue blogging?

are you in pampanga area?

Coconuter said...

i'm going to post more pictures tomorrow. no i'm not yet in the pampanga area. there are quite a few ways you can help me continue blogging. please e-mail me also. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hello I dont know how to say this but when i found your webpage it changed me and helped confirm my beliefs. I am 17 years old and still in highschool in america, i live in a combfortable home and live a how you say "nice life" and yet for some reason i feel drawn to leave it, i am disgusted with it but have never had the courage to do anything about it. But in one year i plan on leaving after highschool. i do not know where yet but somewhere far away, where i can find my self and put my self in a place that needs me. I have a strong belief that, that place will find me and after reading what you have done it helps give me the courage to never give up. You are a hero to me and i know that sounds funny but you are. I found your website the day you left, and how i found it was the most random and yet not random events of my life. I was with friends and were were just looking for funny movies and we randomly typed in toxic and something (idk y) on google video search and the only movie that came up was your movie, and i found your site. Some things in the world are ment to happen , and i believe i was ment to find your site. So thank you for all you have done for me and i know you will be able to do the same for many more where ever you go. sorry if this took too much of your time, i will try to repay you shortly with a donation when i get the money.
ps if you ever have the time or money...email me at (avl1489@gmail.com)
you friend Alex

MikeMina said...

finally you made it! was just checking pinoy top blogs and saw that you're in number 117! what an interesting adventure indeed! at the moment i can't click on the ads even if i refreshed my browser . . . will try again . . . i wish you all the best . . . !

BigBad said...

I'm watching this blog.

Anonymous said...

u reminded me of forestgump running for no reason at all.. in the middle of his journey he met/helped/influenced alot of people. Well goodluck on your journey. Please do take care. =)I'm fervently thinking of you..Well, i mean thinking of your escapade. =p

Anonymous said...

Nakakatuwang isipin na di ka isang "maarte" pag dating sa pagkain... Tutal di ka nmn din malalason e...At least nakakain ka diba? Ganyan kasi talaga dito sa Pinas... Niweis, Yngatz na lng po sa laht ng lakad kuya... I dont know why im so hooked in this blog of yours... Maybe i am seeing myself in you... Pareho lng din tayo nagrerent sa computer shop pero I can say na mas fotunate ka sa kin... Inspired ako sa pagbabasa ng blog mo.. di ako mahilig magsulat kasi, magbasa lang..haha!! Sana marami ka pang mainspire na tao...Again, still looking forward to meet you in person, talk to you personally, humingin ng advice sau... Salamat po... You're a gift of GOD from all of us...

Ronin said...

Coconuter,

Great story and great adventure. I guess blogging attracts those of all ages. Although I'm a good bit older than you, I to share your sense of adventure. I'd read your blog before early on in your adventure. I too left the comforts of home behind and started out to the Philippines to enjoy my own quest. I can admit though, i was not as talented as you in capturing it in a blog.

The Philippines represented to me a way to escape some of the issues I'd experienced here in the states; what i didn't realize is that it would change my life resulting in moving there. I too come from an area in SE USA much like Tennessee..i do miss that aspect of my life in the US, but i enjoy the freedom and anonimity that the PI offers me.

Congrats and great blog. keep it up please.

Ronin

Post a Comment